U.S. News reported that fire sprinklers inside a southeastern Idaho nursing home did not activate when a blaze erupted last weekend. All of the 49 patients were evacuated and several were treated for smoke inhalation. The fire likely started in the attic of the facility and was possibly sparked by a malfunctioning light fixture, authorities said. The State Fire Marshal’s Office and the Pocatello Fire Department are investigating the cause of the fire that destroyed the Safe Haven Care Center, the Idaho State Journal reported .
The facility was equipped with sprinklers but none activated during the blaze. “We are investigating why the fire suppression system didn’t operate as expected,” Smith said. “There is a question of whether or not the fire suppression system was turned on, and there are also some questions about whether or not the fire suppression system had some parts of it that were abandoned.”