The Star Tribune reported that the Minnesota Department of Health said the Gardens at Cannon Falls “did not have an adequate system to ensure cognitively impaired residents on [liquid] diets were adequately supervised.” Nursing home staff knew the resident was dissatisfied with her limited liquid diet, and that she would routinely try to take the solid foods of others and throw her own meals onto the floor, the investigation noted.
State death records identify her as 77-year-old Margarita M. Schuler. A nephew who lives a few miles from the nursing home expressed exasperation with his aunt’s care. “Wow, we had been working with the staff for quite a while about her needing extra care,” Mike Kulhanek said. “I was personally frustrated with that.”
On a Sunday night in mid-November, Schuler was in her wheelchair in the dining room and roughly 3 feet from where sandwiches, cookies and liquefied snacks were put out for residents.
When none of the three staff members in the room was looking, and after sitting near the snacks for more than an hour, Schuler rolled over to the food and “was trying to quickly eat the sandwich.”
When she began choking, staff members attempted to dislodge the food with chest compressions and the Heimlich maneuver, and called 911. Schuler died in an ambulance on the way to a hospital. Her choking caused her to go into cardiac and respiratory arrest, according to the death certificate.