McKnight’s reported on the tragic and preventable death of  nursing home resident Joseph Roberts who was allowed to smoke cigarettes unsupervised at Carriage Hill, a nursing home in Virginia.  The facility had a no smoking policy that the staff ignored.   Roberts, who was on pain medication and was wheelchair bound, smoked a cigarette, which resulted in the fire.  Roberts suffered severe burns when his pants caught fire. The home’s attendants allegedly left him unattended outside the facility .  The home was found negligent in the incident and was ordered to pay $1.45 million to Roberts’ family

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation