MyPalmBeachPost reported that Eva Mae Rhodes died a painful wrongful death at age 98 after caregivers at Lakeside Health Center nursing home left her outside unattended where she blistered and baked in Florida’s sun. Rhodes was transferred to the hospital with a temperature of 103.2 degrees, suffering from heat stroke, severe dehydration and second-degree burns on her shoulders, arms and mouth. An investigator for the Florida Department of Children and Families concluded inadequate supervision was to blame. After Rhodes died two weeks later, the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner listed her cause of death as “hyperthermia” caused by exposure to the sun and heat.
The family filed a lawsuit to make sure that this doesn’t happen to other vulnerable adults. “The message I want to send is we will not tolerate the abuse of our elderly,” CandaceMcKinley told reporters. “I’m mortified that nothing more has been done.”
Lakeside Health Center is owned and operated by the national for profit nursing home chain Life Care Centers of America.