The Tribune reported the tragic consequences of allowing a nursing home resident to smoke without proper supervision and safety attire.

The father of a 55-year-old mentally impaired man living at a nursing home in San Luis Obispo alleges that staff there negligently gave the partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound man a cigarette and lighter shortly before he was found in a patio area “engulfed in flames.”  Compass Health, Inc., owns and operates Mission View Health Center.

A lawsuit filed by Floyd Lewelling, on behalf of his son Jeffrey Lewelling, says that staff at Mission View  should not have given the man his own lighter nor left him alone in the designated smoking area.  They should also provide a smoking apron.

The Lewelling family seeks an unspecified amount of monetary damages for dependent adult abuse and neglect, negligence and violations of resident rights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation